MOCA Cleveland is seeking 1-2 Curatorial Interns for the Winter / Spring of 2018. The selected candidate(s) will work closely with MOCA Cleveland’s exhibitions team, reporting directly to the Assistant Curator. The primary focus of the internship will be assisting with administration, research, catalogs, multi-media materials, and programs for the Winter/Spring 2018, and Summer 2018 exhibitions.
MOCA Cleveland opened at a new location in October 2012, the first building designed in the United States by Farshid Moussavi Architecture. This internship is an extraordinary opportunity to see inside a growing institution, and to make a significant contribution to critical dialogue in Cleveland and beyond. The internship is 16 hours (2 days) per week, and runs January 8, 2018 – May 1, 2018 (start and end dates are flexible). This is an unpaid position, thus suited to a senior Undergraduate or Masters student with a required internship component to their degree. There is a high degree of mentoring and critical feedback, along with the potential to tailor the internship to the interests of the successful candidate(s), including more of a focus on art handling/registration, programs, or education.
• General administrative assistance within the department
• Archival, library, and online research for exhibitions
• Working with the Senior Curator and Assistant Curator to generate and copy edit exhibition related materials, including bios, labels, and social media posts.
• Assisting with on and off-site programs, including: artist talks, screenings, and curator’s tours
• Assisting the Exhibition team during installation
• Assist with research and image clearances for publications
Qualifications and skills:
• Thorough knowledge of contemporary art
• The ability to think imaginatively & cohesively about artworks
• Excellent research, writing, and editing skills
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently
• Familiarity with Adobe creative suite preferred
To apply, please forward the following materials to A. Will Brown, Assistant Curator firstname.lastname@example.org by December 22, 2017. Please put “Winter / Spring 2018 Intern Application” in the subject line.
• Cover letter
• CV with listed references
• A short writing sample, fewer than 800 words (i.e. beginning of an academic essay, exhibition review, or previous exhibition writing, such as a labels or a didactic).
Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by email and interviews will take place January 1-7, 2018. Candidate(s) will be selected by January 8, 2018.
Please note that all MOCA internships are unpaid however students are encouraged to contact their career service office to explore the possibility of obtaining course credit for their experience.