SCHEDULE: Seasonal, Part-time
COMPENSATION: Hourly, commensurate with experience
As the region’s only contemporary art museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland leads the way in shaping and advancing contemporary culture. We are global and local, Cleveland at our core with a cosmopolitan skin. MOCA enthusiastically promotes experimentation and exploration through engaging with contemporary art and ideas. Grounded in the community, MOCA welcomes all audiences and employs a smart, creative, and diverse workforce. MOCA values an entrepreneurial spirit in our work culture, supporting an enterprising staff that anticipates and reacts nimbly to change while embracing new opportunities and challenges. Success of the individual directly impacts success of the institution, so MOCA holds every employee to a high standard of excellence with the expectation that everyone understands and participates in the institutional goals.
Reporting to the Senior Exhibitions Manager and Preparator, and working as part of the Curatorial Team, the Exhibition Technician is a seasonal employee responsible for working on all aspects of exhibition installation. This individual will assist in the implementation of exhibitions onsite at the Museum. Work includes packing and unpacking works of art, shipping and receiving, installation of artworks, and all phases of gallery preparations including but not limited to painting, wall repair, finishing, and material handling. Exhibition Technicians primarily assist museum staff with all aspects of the installation of exhibitions.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Art handling.
• Assist with preparation and construction of exhibition space including temporary walls, crates, and bases.
• Assist with handling and installation of artwork.
• Assist with packing and crating of artwork.
• Assist with production and installation of exhibition graphics, didactic displays and signage.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Exhibitions Manager or Preparator.
• Preference given to candidates with experience in mounting art exhibitions and an interest in contemporary art.
SKILLS AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
• Knowledge of art handling, preparation techniques, and installation of artwork.
• Self-motivated, careful, detail-oriented team player.
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form.
All MOCA employees are expected to possess the following characteristics:
• Interest in, and inspired by, contemporary art and culture.
• Positivity and enthusiasm with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills that enable collaborative interaction with all levels of the organization.
• Keen multi-tasking and organizational abilities as well as superior time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
• Dedication to ensuring every project’s success, with the nimble responsiveness to accommodate frequently shifting priorities.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
• Physical mobility to work within the exhibitions workshops and in museum gallery spaces.
• Able to actively participate in physically demanding exhibition related activities.
• Able to lift and carry at least 50 pounds without assistance from other individuals.
• Sufficient manual dexterity to move art and to operate hand and power tools or equipment.
• Should expect frequent use of stairs and continuous walking on concrete floors.
• Able to climb step stools or ladders to reach elevated areas of walls and ceiling.
INSTALLATION SCHEDULE FOR 2018, SUBJECT TO CHANGE
This is a part-time, seasonal position with occasional evenings or weekend time commitments for exhibition installations.
• June 11 - July 14
• October 1 – 19
• December 3 – 14
• This position reports to the Senior Exhibitions Manager and/or Preparator.
Email a completed application, cover letter, resumé, and contact information for 3 professional references to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your cover letter should include:
1. Why you will be a perfect fit for this job.
2. Specific experiences with art handling or installation.
3. Whether you were referred by a MOCA employee or someone else affiliated with MOCA.
Please use the subject line EXHIBITION TECHNICIAN.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
No phone calls please.