MOCA is building a team of enthusiastic, flexible and creative freelance teachers for its growing Education Department. Experienced preschool teachers will lead guided tours and programs for the museum’s youngest learners, here for their first experiences at MOCA. The ideal candidate is a playful and skilled teacher, experienced at leading age appropriate open-ended conversations, inspiring curiosity and imaginative play, and delivering and maintaining clear direction for museum appropriate boundaries. Skilled educators may be invited to develop future tour and program content.
The ideal candidate:
• Bachelor’s degree in Museum Education, Art Education, Fine Art, or Museum Studies required.
• Minimum of 2 years teaching experience including a working knowledge of education theory and practice.
• Preference given to candidates who possess experience with early childhood learners or at non-traditional learning sites such as museums.
• Fluent in English: speaking, reading, and writing. Multilingual candidates encouraged.
• Able to adjust bodily position based on the learners’ needs and varied types of engagement, and to physically accompany tours among the various levels of the institution.
You’ll love working at MOCA if:
• You are genuinely interested in, and interesting to, our youngest visitors.
• You’re familiar with, and inspired by, contemporary art and culture.
• You are an enthusiastic public speaker who thrives on interacting with a diverse public.
• You’re confident, capable, and multi-talented.
A Few Logistics:
• Flexible schedule including mornings and occasional early afternoons, Tuesday through Friday in January, and select Saturday mornings. A complete tour schedule will be provided upon request.
• Compensation is $25 per tour.
Ready to apply? Submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Early Childhood Museum Educator”.
• Cover letter or cover email that lets your personality and style shine through. Tell us what you can offer and what you hope to gain and it wouldn’t hurt to mention a current or past MOCA exhibition or program that you attended. If you know someone who is associated with MOCA, tell us!
• Resume or CV that highlights relevant education and experience and makes it obvious why you are the best possible candidate for this position.
• Contact information for references from 3 employers telling us why you would be perfect for this position.