Loaded Concert Series: Tashi Dorji
Free + Open to All
MOCA's free LOADED concert series kicks off with three acts that incorporate improvisation with composition.
- Tashi Dorji is gaining an international reputation with his singular guitar style and evolving compositions.
- Joe Tomino uses his percussion virtuosity in combination with electronics to create reverberating soundscapes.
- Dandelion Moon is a collaboration of Andrew Auten, Nathan Mahan, Robert Darkmatter, and Ellen Wurtzel. They mix text, lyrics, and psych-rock to explore unpredictable narrative structures.
This bill is inspired by Mark Mothersbaugh’s scores for film and TV, which explore the tension between electric and acoustic sounds, as well as develop and explore musical themes over varying time horizons. Amanda Lee will provide video projections for the evening.
NOTE: Admission to MOCA exhibitions is discounted to $5 on Fridays 5-9PM.
ABOUT THE BANDS
Joe Tomino is an extraordinary percussionist who has played with some of the largest names in the music industry. On this night, he will explore the intersection of percussion and electronics to create and a sonic cosmos that evolves, swirls, dissolves and behaves in an utterly unpredictable fashion.
Dandelion Moon is a collaboration of Andrew Auten, Nathan Mahan, Robert Darkmatter, and Ellen Wurtzel. This line-up incorporates lyrics of PJ Harvey, Poly Styrene, and other female songwriters to whom musicians infrequently paid homage through reinterpretation of their works. By juxtaposing reinterpreted lyrics with psych and space rock, the band creates a dynamic framework while placing the lyricists on a pedestal.
- Friday, August 19 | Loaded Concert Series: Horse Lords + ONO
- Friday, August 26 | Loaded Concert Series: Form A Log
ABOUT LOADED CONCERT SERIES
LOADED is a creative sound music series incorporating experimental elements of performance art, avant rock, punk, and electronic music. Curated by Andrew Auten (CounterRucking), Lisa Miralia (Mysterious Black Box on WCSB Radio), and David Russell Stempowski (Polar Envy), this series brings together sound artists from our region and beyond to perform on MOCA's loading dock.